Friday, June 27, 2008

Don't Forget that "Dance" Command!

Clearly, the Santa Rosa Market differs a bit from the downtown Chattanooga Market! When our instructors warned of potential distractions, I was preparing for strollers, children carelessly holding ice cream cones at doggy level, and perhaps a bit of noise from some subdued prototypical Eagles type cover band. To my surprise (and utter delight) the night was truly an amalgamation of food, music, street dancing, amazing art, and of course, our usual mini-brigade of wheelchairs and goldies.
Our day started with the eagerly anticipated bus ride. The city transit mall was in full swing when we arrived so Kate and I quickly dug up enough change for the $1.10 fare and waited patiently for the # 14. She boarded with no problems, never hesitating to go with the bus driver as I wheeled up the ramp. After a half hour ride through Santa Rosa's medical district, (guess we took the hospital tour) we were back at the terminal and ready to hit the theater. Unfortunately I missed the beginning of Get Smart so we instead opted for Kung Fu Panda as it was the only available option that fit the day's itinerary. Now for those of you who have never had the pleasure of bringing a canine date to the theater, just imagine all of the floor level temptations! I'm sure that I must have given at least 75 "leave it" commands. Kate did well for the most part yet as we all know, the theater is dark and sometimes the wafting smell of hot buttered popcorn is simply too much for those with even the best of intentions. Let's just say that if she managed to sneak a few under the seat, it wouldn't be tragic...
After the movie we hit the Market, first practicing drills and commands at the fountain then moving through the booths and taking it all in. I was really impressed with her diligence; she even managed to resist a big turkey leg that was left behind on a nearby bench, neither pulling toward it nor acknowledging that it was there. We watched the bongo show for awhile, right in the heat of things actually. She was nervous initially but settled in nicely which is really quite a feat for such an unpredictable, and to her, obviously foreign situation. I'm glad to have put her in the mix as I caught one of the trainers quietly observing her from the crowd. Her calm demeanor surely must have solidified her status for a July graduation! We'll see.
So the bad news is in that we will be switching dogs on Monday. I'm heartbroken but relieved. Another week of this and ADI might have found themselves with a missing handler/dog team en route to Tennessee! I think that the idea is to have an experience with a true service animal and then with one who will not make the cut. I need the experience to know the difference but I will certainly miss my little princess. Yesterday we finally severed the umbilical cord after seven full days and you know what? We are still side by side at breakfast, in the bathtub, in the bed at night, and even right now at my desk. I may have to give her back on Monday but the bond we've created needs no tether, just a little wink and a knowing smile as we pass one another; sometimes that's just all that it takes.
Stay tuned for more excitement to come and thanks so much to all who have left comments; it pleases me to no end to know that you are following along on this journey!
~Sarah

6 comments:

Mattie said...

I'm heartbroken you and Kate are parting ways!!!

Betsy said...

I don't think I have ever enjoyed reading a blog so much! THanks for sharing your day-to-days with us. What an awesome thing you are doing.
Keep us informed of the next adventures!
xoxo
Betsy

cs said...

Sarah,

I know you are going miss Kate. I hope you have a good weekend. We will miss the cute pics of Kate but are eagaerly awaiting to hear about the next phase of the program.
Jesse calls me at work to see if there is anything new from Sarah.

Cyndee

Celeste Walsen said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us this inside look at
ADI! Now I want to know what you are going to be doing when you get back to Tennessee.

Angel Logan said...

Hi, I'm a service dog from Maine and mom and I are really enjoying reading your blog. Are you going to be an assistance dog trainer?
Wags and woofs,
Logan, Service Dog Extraordinaire

shollyday said...

Hi Logan and Celeste!
To answer your questions, yes I am starting a service dog training academy in Chattanooga, TN. I am with Goodwill Industries and we are partnering with Chattanooga's brand new McKamey Animal Center to create the Goodwill Assistance Dog Academy. I am taking the ADI Service Dog Seminar this summer in preparation. Thanks so much for following along!
Sarah