Saturday, June 21, 2008

Good Mornin' Sunshine!

Well as you can see, Kate seems to be settling in nicely at the Extended Stay. Though our instructors told us that having the dogs sleep with us in bed was optional, I feel quite certain that Kate felt the only option was to immediately "jump on" (typically used in grooming prompting the dog to leap onto the grooming table.) I'm not complaining as she is truly a wonderful cuddler, and unlike my golden at home, is quite respectful and does not stubbornly take up three quarters of the bed.
Unbelievably enough the tethering is becoming less and less of an inconvenience as we transition from two strangers getting to know one another to a team working in tandem to accomplish the daily routine. I think we may be onto something!
Today is Saturday and our first official field trip is this morning. I have our water and packs, as well as my wheelchair, all loaded into the rental car. We are meeting the group at Wolf's Coffee and then we are off to the mall! This should be really interesting. We've learned a lot about how a companion animal feeds off of the handler's energy, positive or negative, and how this synchronization affects the ability to work successfully as a team. Now unfortunately for Kate, I absolutely abhor shopping and the mere mention of the word "mall" sends my stomach into knots. I'm trying desperately to create a false sense of positivity this morning before we leave, but I'm thinking that this little smarty pants may see right through my attempts. Even worse, I fear that we may practice walking through very meticulously hazardous mall areas, i.e., those involving crystal, china, and various porcelain figurines; I can feel my apprehension and resistance building already--wish us luck! I am hoping to get some group shots today so that you all can get an idea of the other students and dogs. Stay tuned and hope you are all enjoying your UN-tethered freedom on a Saturday!
~Sarah

2 comments:

Susan said...

Sarah,
I've really been enjoying the updates on the adventures of Sarah & Kate. Sounds like a fast-paced and fun time you're having at school. Look forward to more!!
Susan

cs said...

Hi Sarah,

We are enjoying your blog. Kate is very cute. I hope you are working well together.

I have some good news. Give me a call when you have time. I never know when it is a good time to call you.

We are looking forward to the next entry.

Cyndee