Monday, June 30, 2008

Our Last Hoorah: Kate Gets Loud and Proud


Well less than two weeks after the same sex marriage ban was lifted in California, Kate and I found ourselves hot in the mix (pun certainly intended!) of drag queens, kids, politicos, the shirtless and shirted, and many more during San Fransisco's 38th annual Pride Celebration. Talk about a spectacle! I simply could not stop thinking of old melancholy Jaques from Shakespeare's As You Like It; all the world truly IS a stage sometimes. And wow, what a show!
We met up with my friend John who was in town visiting from Seoul. As his hotel was in the heart of Chinatown, our adventure started there. I won't bore you all with meticulous details from our day other than to say that Kate did splendidly well. She rode four separate bus routes, a trolley, and in a taxi, as well as dining al fresco in North Beach for breakfast and later at a Moroccan joint in Haight Ashbury; now that was an experience as we ALL ate on the floor! After a long successful day (and a little catnap in Golden Gate Park) we were headed back north and preparing for a sad goodbye.
This morning was certainly difficult for the entire class. We each had to say goodbye to our beloved little umbilical cord partners, leaving them in assigned offices throughout the school. Yes, there were tears and I must say that I found myself up in arms with the sheer lunacy of the program; however, as my wise and wonderful husband reminded me last night, I have only known this little girl for two weeks; my true love of 8 years is waiting for me at home in TN! (That's my goldie, not him for any of you who may be confused hah!)
Kate will now be working with one of the New Zealanders and I will try wholeheartedly not to stare at her from across the room--may be easier said than done. But alas, for now, times moves forward and I have new little ones to tell you all about! Stay tuned; someone who you will meet very soon is nudging my knee for a walk so I will take a brief respite and try to catch you up later tonight. Hope that all is well!
~Sarah

3 comments:

cs said...

Hi Sarah,

We were all thinking of you yesterday and how sad it would be to give up Kate. I was expecting a " Goldie Alert" that a handler from TN has disappeared with Kate.

It hard to believe you will soon be half way through the program. I'm glad you have a friend visiting and hope you have some plans for the Fourth.
McKamey officially opened to the public today. We are wishing them well.

I'm looking forward to more news and meeting the new dogie.

Cyndee

Angela said...

What a great photo! I'm glad your last day with Kate was such a fun one.

Can't wait to hear about your new buddy!

David said...

Thanks for the kudos, Love. I miss you terribly, but know that you are learning so much out there! Keep up the good work, and know that Miss Moo and I love you! XOXO - D